About Smokin K’s BBQ & More!
In the summer of 2001, Dennis Keck and some close friends were sitting around hanging out at a local bar and debating who could make the Best Snoots. Later that year they competed in their first competition and won 1st place for their Snoots, with all proceeds donated to the Red Cross for 9/11 victims.
On Labor Day 2009, they took it up a notch and formed 4 Smokin’ Butts in Millstadt, Illinois. They customized and built their own 20-foot trailer packed with BBQ equipment so they could compete all over the region.
Over a four year period from 2009-2015 they have competed in over 100 BBQ Competitions across 13 states.
Smokin K’s award winning resume includes the following:
- Grand Champions 10 times in a 3 year period – Arizona, IL and MO.
- 1st Grand prize was in 2010 in Quincy, IL and then proceeded to win the next 3 Grand’s during the next 3 weeks for 4 in a row. A 5th Grand prize was awarded the following week.
- In 2011, we competed in the Jack Daniels competition which requires a Grand Champions title in order to receive an invite to participate.
- In 2012, we competed in the Kansas City Royal competition; the largest BBQ competition in the country with over 500 teams in the open contest.
- We have been ranked in the top 25 for 3 years in a row by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.
- In 2013, we won 2 of the 10 Grand titles back to back, 2 weeks prior to the Grand Opening of Smokin K’s BBQ & More in Millstadt, IL.
- In 2013 & 2014, we competed in the Millstadt Optimist Club Chili and Snoot Cook Off and took 1st place for Snoots and People’s Choice.
- In 2014, we participated in the Grillin’ With Izzy BBQ Competition and won 1st place for chicken.
- In 2015, we competed in the Millstadt Commercial Club Brewfest & Chicken Wing Fling, taking home 1st place in dry wings and People’s Choice.
- In 2015, we competed in the Millstadt Optimist Club Chili and Snoot Cook Off, winning People’s Choice and placing in the top 3 in ribs, pork steaks and snoots.
- In 2015, we participated in the Smokin’ in the Park Competition in Smithton, where we took 1st place for ribs, receiving a perfect score. The perfect score indicated our ribs are perfect in appearance, taste and tenderness by all 6 judges.
In 2013, Dennis and wife Cindy Keck decided to relocate their existing jewelry store to Millstadt, IL where they are from and have raised their family. During the same year they decided to proceed with a dream of serving Championship BBQ to the community and surrounding areas. As a result, Smokin K’s BBQ & More was opened right next door to their new Keck Jewelers Store on East Washington in Millstadt.
What started as a small adventure has turned into a much bigger dream than Dennis and Cindy could ever imagine. With Great Food and Great Service at Great Prices what more could you ask for? Stop by and see us today!